The Internet is a great communications medium, but it is also a dangerous place for a Christian to venture unprotected. Keep your family safe by using a web filtering tool. We recommend the following software:
- K9 Web Protection: this free software offers excellent web filtering capabilities. Supports both Windows and Mac OS X. Best choice for protecting a single computer across all locations.
- OpenDNS FamilyShield: this free solution provides web filtering for your entire network without installing software. Best choice for protecting all devices in a single home.
- Safe Eyes: this software costs $49.95 per year for up to three computers, but offers advanced features (like program blocking, time limits, instant usage alerts via text messages, reporting, etc.) in addition to its excellent web filtering capabilities. Supports both Windows and Mac OS X. Best choice for protecting multiple computers across all locations, or if you need advanced alerting or time limiting features.
While not yet as full-featured as the software available for personal computers, the recent increase in popularity of smartphones has necessitated the development of specialized content filters for Internet-connected phones:
- K9 Web Protection Browser (free, iPhone/iPad Touch/iPad) or Safe Eyes Mobile ($19.99, iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad): installs a separate web browser that filters Internet content, which works best in conjunction with Apple’s built-in Parental Restrictions
- Trend Micro Mobile Security for Android (Android): provides content filtering and security tools.
- Net Nanny Mobile (BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, Google Android, Symbian): installs a service to monitor location, calls, text messages, photos and more, with content filtering scheduled to be added in early 2010
We also recommend using an ad-blocking plugin to filter out advertising. These add-ons are available for a number of popular web browsers: